Early Years Educator
The Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education (Early Years Educator) enables learners to gain the knowledge and experience which will allow them to work with children from birth to 5 years. Upon achievement of the Level 3 Diploma in Childcare and Education it is intended that learners will be able to access higher education or enter the workforce as Early Years Educators.
This qualification has been designed for learners who want to work in early years childcare and education as an Early Years Educator. The high level of skills required to achieve this qualification also enables learners to progress to Higher Education within early years childcare and education or a different field of study. UCAS tariff points have been awarded for this qualification.
Introduction to End-Point Assessment
What is End-Point Assessment?
EPA is carried out by an Independent End-Point Assessor (IEPA) who has not been part of the teaching and learning.
The role of the apprentice:
- participate in development opportunities to improve their knowledge, skills and behaviours as outlined in the standard
- meet all gateway requirements when advised by the employer
- understand the purpose and importance of EPA and undertake EPA
- gather evidence from the on-programme training to support the portfolio and professional discussion
The role of the employer:
- support the apprentice, while on-programme, to achieve the KSBs outlined in the standard to their best ability
- determine when the apprentice is working at or above the level outlined in the standard and is ready for EPA
- select the EPAO
- confirm all EPA gateway requirements have been met
- confirm arrangements with EPAO for the EPA (who, when, where) in a timely manner
- ensure apprentice is well prepared for the EPA
- support the apprentice as they develop their portfolio
- ensure all appropriate permissions are received from parents/ careers
- ensure video is included in the portfolio where possible except where there may safeguarding concerns
- ensure observation recordings are only viewed on site
- work with the employer to ensure that the apprentice is given the opportunities to develop the KSBs outlined in the standard and monitor their progress during the on-programme period
- advise the employer, upon request, on the apprentice’s readiness for EPA prior to the gateway
- plays no part in the EPA itself